These days, almost every house is full of several different appliances and gadgets. There are computers, phones, laptops, tablets, and numerous other devices that depend on electricity. However, as compared to the number of devices we use, the electrical outlets in our home are not sufficient. So, how can you plug-in all the appliances and charge all the gadgets at the same time?
Since our homes are designed with a limited number of outlets, it becomes inevitable if use extension cords and power strips. A power strip is a single length cable connected to a box with multiple sockets to supply power to multiple devices at a time. There is no denying of the fact that power strips make our life easier, however, just like any other electronic device, power strips also have some safety hazards.
The power strips have become a go-to solution for many homeowners but if not used correctly, it may also become a serious threat for your safety. In most cases, power strips catch fire due to wrong handling which includes connecting high-power appliances. But if you follow some basic rules, these strips are quite safe.
If you avoid making some common mistakes, power strips are easy, convenient, and safe to use. So, before you go plugging away, read the following safety tips to protect your home, family, and appliances.
Consider Wattage Needs
At the time of purchasing a power strip, you should keep your wattage needs in mind. It is important to invest in that strip which can handle your wattage needs. Power strips are available in several different types to serve different purposes. When shopping for a power strip, you will find office power strips, industrial strips, hospital power strips, and many other options. So, make sure you choose the right one to handle your specific needs.
Daisy-Chaining is a Big NO
Connecting multiple power strips together in series can increase the chances of a blow-out or electrical fire. Chaining power strips into one another is known as daisy-chaining which is responsible for causing most of the electrical fire. This extremely dangerous practice can also cause severe damage to your appliances. To avoid this problem, buy a power strip with a long cable or place your appliances closer to the outlet and power strip while in use.
Allow it to Breath
Another common mistake is covering up the power strips, or cords with a blanket or any other fabric. Often, people don’t pay attention that their power strip somehow got covered with a rug or blanket while it’s plugged in. When this happens, the strip produces heat and catches fire.
Overloading the Strip
To avoid electrical fire, you must not plug in large, high-power appliances like refrigerator, microwaves, hair dryers, washing machine, or space heaters. If you connect high-current appliances, it will overload a power strip and will trigger a fire. The maximum limit of your power strip is mentioned on the device, so never exceed that limit. Also, before plugging multiple devices into the strip, keep in mind the voltage rating to prevent any hazard.